Please read the latest statement from Surrey Heartlands Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG).
Pond Tail Surgery is a well-established practice with a registered list size of 7,263. Uncertainty about Pond Tail practice has arisen since the sad, untimely death of the former, single handed contract holder, Dr Khan-Gilbert. Current short term, temporary arrangements expire in July and there is now a need to secure the longer-term future for the patient list.
Current situation and actions
- Delivery of GP Services rely on the availability of premises and current uncertainty surrounding the Landlord’s agreement to permit continued use of the current site means that all alternative options need to be explored before a formal recommendation can be made by the commissioner.
- A number of actions are being carried out including:
- Ongoing discussions with the practice landlords regarding both short- and long-term occupancy options. It should be noted that a short-term extension will afford more time to conduct a competitive procurement process should alternative local premises for longer -term occupation be identified.
- Initiating an independent exercise to understand the likelihood and feasibility of securing alternative potential premises from which to deliver services – which, as above, will inform the feasibility of successful competitive procurement.
- Ongoing engagement with local practices to explore support requirements in the event that list dispersal becomes necessary.
- Surrey Heartlands Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG) recognises the concern caused by this uncertainty and acknowledges that patients have the right to choose alternative practices. However, they wish to assure everyone that they will ensure continuity of access to GP care throughout and, in the event that it becomes necessary, they will work with patients to provide advice and support to re-register elsewhere.
- In summary, there is currently no need for patients to choose alternative practices as Pond Tail Surgery remains open and continues to provide necessary care to its registered list.
Seeking your views
Surrey Heartlands CCG is seeking to understand patient priorities for future service provision and what matters most to patients.
Between 10 December 2020 and 18 January 2021, they carried out an informal engagement to advise patients registered at Pond Tail Surgery about the different options under consideration. It is normal and recommended practice to informally engage with patients and the public to help shape options. The Pond Tail Surgery survey closed on Monday 18 January; the CCG will analyse the results and on completion will share the findings.
Given the reliance on premises from which to deliver local GP services, and the uncertainty that they face regards the current premises, Surrey Heartlands CCG have no choice but to explore all of the options available that ensure patients have access to primary care. Once they have reviewed all options and determined which are feasible, the CCG will write to every patient at Pond Tail Surgery to update them on next steps. Surrey Heartlands CCG welcomes patient feedback at every stage and all comments will be taken into consideration.
How to submit feedback
Surrey Heartlands CCG welcomes patient feedback at every stage and all comments will be taken into consideration.
Tel: 0300 561 1555
SMS: 07917 087 560 (text phone only)
Write: FAO Communications and Engagement Team, NHS Surrey Heartlands CCG, Cedar Court, Guildford Road, Leatherhead, Surrey, KT22 9AE and make sure you include your full address and postcode